Sunflower Oil for cooking
FAQs about Sunflower Oil for cooking for Food
Are sunflower oil good for you?
Despite the myths behind it, this oil has vitamin A and a great contribution of vitamin E, which has great benefits for the body such as:
1. Protect the body against free radicals, helping to prevent cancer and other degenerative diseases.
2. Thanks to the fact that it contains polyunsaturated fatty acids, it helps prevent cardiovascular diseases.
3. Helps fight arthritis.
4. Provides vitamins to the skin that help against solar rays.
5. Helps retain moisture in the skin and the formation of elastin and collagen.
What sunflower oil used for?
The main use of this oil is for culinary use, since it is suitable for frying as it resists the oil saturation process at temperatures of up to 180 degrees Celsius (356 degrees Fahrenheit). In addition, less fat impregnates the food and therefore the final product has a lower caloric level. Finally, due to its mild flavor it is very suitable as a raw dressing for making mayonnaise.
How sunflower oil is made?
This oil comes from sunflower seeds, in which the most used process is cold pressing, which has 3 phases:
1. Cleaning, shelling and storage: At this point the impurities are removed, the shells are separated from the seeds and finally they are stored avoiding degradation.
2. Crushing and extraction: In order to obtain the fatty acids from the oil, you must go inside the seed. For this reason, they are crushed and then passed to a mechanical press to obtain the oil. This type of unrefined oil (Virgin) has an intense and very pleasant aroma.
3. Refining: Elimination of impurities from the additional phases, softening the flavor and reducing the degree of acidity. In this way, a light yellow oil with little taste or smell is obtained.
Is sunflower oil bad for you?
Actually it is not bad for your health, however it is good to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for its use. Here are some recommendations so you can take advantage of the benefits of this oil properly:
1. It is not recommended to use it at high temperatures, since the oils that come from seeds do not resist high temperatures as olive oil does.
2. For the same reason, it is not recommended to use it more than two or three times for frying.
3. If reuse is desired, check that the oil is rich in oleic acid, which allows this oil to better withstand high temperatures and can be reused if properly filtered.
When does sunflower oil expire?
Unopened, this oil can last two years in storage. However, after opening it is recommended to consume it in a period not exceeding six months (It can be more if it is stored correctly with the lid tightly closed). We also recommend that you follow the manufacturer's recommendations.