FAQs about Phosphates for Food
Where are phosphates used?
This type of ingredient is used in the food industry in many ways thanks to its emulsifying and stabilizing properties.
In dairy they are used to modify proteins and help the solution phases. They also prevent the milk from gelling and prevent the fat from separating from the rest of the compounds in the cheese.
For meats, it is used to maintain its quality and texture, increasing its water retention capacity.
They also serve as acidity regulators in oils.
Are phosphates bad for you?
Phosphates are not bad for health, in fact, like many other nutrients, they are necessary for the proper functioning of our body.
Phosphates in particular are basically made up of phosphorus, an essential element that, among other functions, forms part of DNA and helps distribute energy. However, excessive consumption of these can cause problems in the body.
what is phosphoric acid?
Phosphoric acid or also called orthophosphoric, is an inorganic mineral considered as a weak acid. Its formula is H3PO4, it does not contain odor or color and is recognized by its syrupy consistency.
In the food industry it has two uses:
1. Flavoring: It is used in soft drinks and beers adding an acid flavor to them.
2. Acidity regulator: Reduces the pH of food, preventing the reproduction of bacteria and fungi. Thanks to this regulation property, it is also used in beers and wines to adjust the pH, ensuring an optimal level for the mash.
what is trisodium phosphate?
This is one of the most common types of inorganic phosphorus used in industry. It is an inorganic additive derived from phosphorus used in processed foods and fast food. Its main uses are:
1. Meats and baked goods: Decreases acidity helping to balance pH levels and improves the texture of foods. In baked goods it helps the dough rise and hold its shape.
2. Bacon, sausages, canned tuna, meats: Helps retain moisture, increases shelf life and prevents spoilage.
3. It also serves as a thickening agent in boxed mashed potatoes, keeps soft drinks from darkening, and prevents oil and water in processed products from separating.
what is dicalcium phosphate?
This additive, also known as dibasic calcium phosphate or monohydrogen calcium phosphate, is a good source of phosphorus and calcium, which is why it is used as a mineral supplement in the manufacture of enriched cereals and pasta. In addition, it is used in the bakery industry as a function of dough conditioner and yeast substrate. Its way of obtaining is through the extraction of mineral rocks.